Followers

Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I remember when...

I remember when I was a kid and on summer break from school.  I hated it.  It was BORING.  My parents were strict - I was their first daughter and they were ultra old school.  I didn't get to go to summer camp, hang out at a friend's house, cruise the mall, etc.... I stayed home bored. They would let me go to the library.  It's a good thing that I  loved to read!  My dad would drive me to and from even though I could have walked (if he let me).   I would check out as many books as they would let me and then lock myself in my room to read.  One summer I read the entire YA (young adult) section!  Friends and family thought I was nuts - since it was never "required" reading. By the time I was in high school I would voluntarily take summer school classes just to be out of the house!  As an adult I still read "just for fun". Not as much as I would like to, but whenever I can squeeze in a moment.  Imagine that - what felt like my escape from the feeling of punishment is something that I look forward to still. Go figure. TO mom & dad: Thank you for "ruining" my summer vacation!

Do kids today even have a chance to be bored? With all the access to online activities, video games, countless TV programs, and social networking sites??  I'm glad that I didn't have access to all the excess as a child.  My summer boredom fostered my love of reading.

Grimm's Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Classics)What I'm reading now:
Grimm's Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Classics)

No comments: